As the funeral services commence today for 38-year veteran LAFD firefighter Glenn L. Allen who was killed in the line of duty as a result of being trapped beneath rubble when the roof and ceiling collapsed during a blaze at a Hollywood Hills mansion on Feb. 17, the 12,000-square-foot home in the 1500 block of N. Viewsite Drive was declared a crime scene by police Wednesday.
Investigators are looking into whether design and construction issues might have contributed to the collapse, the Los Angeles Building and Safety Department said.
Authorities have ruled out arson as the cause of the blaze, LAPD Capt. Kevin McClure said Thursday, but have not yet determined the cause of the fire, or whether a crime was committed.
The fire appears to have started near a fireplace and then extended into the attic, according to L.A. City Fire Deputy Chief Mario Rueda.
Officials say arson is not a factor and apparently a plastic line in the home’s sprinkler system burned through and filled the ceiling with water.
The LAPD’s robbery-homicide division is now in charge of the investigation, in conjunction with the Los Angeles Building and Safety Department and the L.A. Fire Department.
According to published reports; “The city of Los Angeles has stringent building codes, and those building codes are made not only to protect residents, but also to protect our firefighters,” LAPD Chief Charlie Beck told KTLA. “So we’re looking into what exactly was the situation at that house.”
Firefighters were on the roof trying to ventilate the house when the ceiling collapsed, Rueda said.
The owners of the house, who had been living there for about a week, escaped the blaze unharmed.
Five other firefighters were treated with injuries.
The 61-year-old was about a year from retirement, according to fire officials
Various insights and reports related to the investigation and focus on the building construction, permitting process and certificate of occupancy.
Other Previous Postings HERE
Filed Under: In the Streets
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.