Flags at the NFFF Memorial; SFFD LODD

National Fallen Fire Fighters Memorial this morning

The flags at the National Fallen Fire Fighter Memorial at the National Fire Academy are once again lowered this morning as a result of the line of duty death of Lieutenant Vincent Perez of the San Francisco (CA) Fire Department as a result of injuries sustained while conducting fire suppression operations in a residential occupancy on June 2, 2011. More on the incident HERE.

Lt. Vincent Perez, San Francisco FD

Another SFFD Fire Fighter Anthony Valerio, 53, is still in critical condition at San Francisco General Hospital’s intensive care unit with severe burns as a result of operations in the same fire.

Firefighter Anthony Valerio remains in critical condition

Being on campus this week at the NFA, there is seldom a time in which the flags are at full staff, and if so, its for a short time span. We should take pause and reflect on our job as fire fighters this morning and keep our brothers and sisters of the San Francisco Fire Department and these firefighter’s families in our thoughts and prayers.

The demands and requirements of modern firefighting will continue to require the placement of personnel within situations and buildings that carry risk, uncertainty and inherent danger in order for us to carry out our mission, goals and objectives, because of who we are; Fire Fighters.

Other Links;


  • The fire was first reported around 10:45 a.m. in a four-story home in the 100 block of Berkeley Way, according to San Francisco Fire Lt. Mindy Talmadge.
  • Perez, Valerio and an unidentified female firefighter were inside the structure fighting what was described as an “aggressive fire” when an emergency alarm beacon attached to the active department employees went off, according to Talmadge.
  • Staff tried to contact the firefighter, but was unable to do so.
  • The communications center then notified the command staff of the problem.\Additional crew members were sent in, and they found two firefighters down and “pretty badly burned,” Talmadge said.
  • Perez and Valerio were pulled out of the burning building, the woman walked out on her own.
  • Perez later went into full cardiac arrest after suffering burns and smoke inhalation during the morning blaze, Hayes-White said at a news conference outside San Francisco General Hospital.

Side Charlie Balcony, Photo Jeff Chiu/AP

AP Photo/Patty Stanton


Filed Under: In the Streets


RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.